Thursday, February 24, 2011

Organizational Inspiration

Paperwork heck is still dominating my dining room (though it is mostly dominating paper boxes). Newer mail and paperwork typically pile up in the kitchen on the breakfast table. I need to find a better solution for this little papier-plague before it spreads again.

I think a solution might be creating a workspace that includes functional as well as asthetic components. I like the way that this catalog set-up their station:


http://www.potterybarn.com/

I plan on going in a slightly different direction but there are some things I will use such as a mail/letter station and key hooks. I will add some simple shelves for decorative items. I would like a steel magnet board to display my kiddo- art because magnets will not stick to my refrigearator. I also want a cork board for notes, menus and photos. Since I am on a tight budget, I plan on plan on picking these two items up at Ikea because they have each of these for under $10. I have stainless steel appliances, so I am torn between leaving the magnet board natural or covering it in a fabric to add a  little pattern.



My kitchen features textured stucco walls, cherry cabinets, and black accents. My design will need to be natural and somewhat rustic. Several years ago, I visited Tuscany and I find myself going back to that asthetic over and over. I may go in that direction again for this room- though the lines of the various components are likely to be sharp and angular. It may be a challange to blend the two, but I think I am up to it.

No comments: